You can lose weight quickly, but what’s the point of losing it so fast only to gain it back again the next week? To keep a healthy weight permanently, it’s essential that you lose weight slowly, and steadily. You don’t even need to go on a diet. Simply make a few small changes to your lifestyle and THAT’S IT!
One pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories. By getting rid of 500 calories a day through some minor lifestyle changes, you can lose about a pound of fat per week. After that, it becomes easier and all you have to do maintain your weight is to simply shed 100 calories per day, and you’ll avoid any further weight gain.
Listed below are 10 ways you can lose weight without needing to go on an official “diet”. Check them out:
1. Eat Breakfast Every Day. You might think that skipping breakfast will help you lose weight, but you actually just end up eating more throughout the rest of the day instead. “Many people think skipping breakfast is a great way to cut calories, but they usually end up eating more throughout the day”, says Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD, author of The Pocket Idiot’s Guide to the New Food Pyramids. “Studies show people who eat breakfast have lower BMIs than breakfast-skippers and perform better, whether at school or in the boardroom.” That doesn’t mean you need to eat a huge breakfast… a simple bowl with oatmeal and yogurt will be enough to start your daily nutrition.
2. Close the Kitchen at Night. The temptation to eat late at night is immense, we’ve all been there. Pick a time after which you won’t eat any more, usually 6 or 7 PM, and stick to it. Close off the kitchen and make it known to yourself that it’s completely off-limits. “Have a cup of tea, suck on a piece of hard candy or enjoy a small bowl of light ice cream or frozen yogurt if you want something sweet after dinner, but then brush your teeth so you will be less likely to eat or drink anything else,” suggests Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, WebMD’s “Recipe Doctor” and the author of Comfort Food Makeovers.
3. Choose Liquid Calories Wisely. You might think that you really thirst for a soda, but in fact, you’re just thirsty, and regular water will do the trick. Be careful of the many drinks loaded with excess calories that do nothing to quench your thirst. You can replace your thirst for soda with sparkling water with citrus, or low-calorie vegetable juice. If you consume a lot of alcohol, be careful, because those calories also add up quickly and give what is known as a “beer belly”. So make sure to save such a delicacy only for a special occasion.
4. Control Your Environment. Same as with point #2 where you close off your kitchen, you likewise want to control your environment even outside of “off-limit times”. For example, make sure to stock your kitchen with healthy alternatives and avoid buying junk food such as chips, candy, ice-cream and storing it in your home. If you happen to be invited to a party or an event, eat a healthy snack beforehand so you’re not as hungry when you come in. Before jumping at the food, have a glass of water and wait at least 15 minutes to see if you are really hungry, or just bored and want something to “munch” on.
5. Trim Portions. Who determines what the right portion is for you? Is it the chef who makes the food? Maybe your friends who cooked that dinner for you? Truth be told, only YOU and your body knows the right portion size for you. That means that just because you see a plate full of something in front of you, does NOT mean you have to finish everything. If you simply cut your portion by 10-20%, you would already see immediate results and lose weight. You can help achieve that by using small bowls, plates, and cups. The best part is that you won’t feel like you’re depriving yourself, because it will look like you have plenty of food in those small containers!
6. Go for a Walk. Buy an audiobook or download some great music and go for a nice meditative walk outside. You’ll not only have better mental health, but you’ll also get some exercise in and lose weight. If you have a pet, all the better. Go for a walk with the pet! If you want just 10,000 steps a day, you will already see results within a week. So get going and start movin’!
7. Have Protein at Every Meal and Snack. Adding protein to your meals will help you feel more satiated and full. You will therefore be less likely to overeat. Any clean source of protein will do, such as low-fat yogurt, small portion of nuts, egg-whites, chicken breasts, you name it. Experts suggest eating every 3-4 hours to keep your blood sugar levels consistent, while having a steady stream of protein and hunger-satiation in your body.
And these are our 7 tips for how you can lose weight without needing to “diet”.
We strongly believe that you don’t “have to” go on a diet plan to lose weight. Just eat a good, healthy, and balanced diet every day and you’ll see success hit you faster than you can say “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”.
See you in the next post,